/proc/sys/net/ipv4/config/eth0/arp_filter not working?

From: Felix von Leitner
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 10:03:12 EST

Hi!

I'm having trouble with the Linux kernel answering ARP requests it
shouldn't answer.

In particular, I have added the IP 10.0.0.23 to lo using ip from
iproute2. On another machine, I have added the IP 10.0.0.23 to eth0
using ip. Now, an ARP request from a third machine is answered by both.

According to the documentation I found, the kernel (2.6.0-test11) should
not answer ARP requests for the lo alias if I write 1 to
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/config/eth0/arp_filter, and to be on the safe side, I
also wrote 1 to /proc/sys/net/ipv4/config/lo/arp_filter. However, the
kernel still answers the ARP requests.

Any takers?

Felix