Re: ACPI global lock macros

From: Paul Menage
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 04:54:38 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
maybe the odd thing is that it exists at all?
(eg why does ACPI need to have it's own locking primitives...)

Because the ACPI spec defines its own locking protocol for synchronization between the OS and the BIOS.

... which can't be written based on linux locks ?

I assume (hope!) there's already a higher-level linux lock serializing access to acpi_acquire_global_lock() although I've not delved deeply into the code. This is the lock described on p112 of http://www.acpi.info/DOWNLOADS/ACPIspec-2-0c.pdf, which has the semantics that if the OS wants to take the lock while the BIOS holds it, it sets a bit and waits for an interrupt from the BIOS. I don't see that it could be naturally implemented using a linux lock.

Paul