Re: Kernel 2.6.0-testX show stoppers

From: Roberto Sanchez
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 00:54:54 EST

Bob wrote:
Craig Bradney wrote:

For the Athlon, keep in touch with the nforce thread on here.. There are
patches due to timing issues with the nforce chipset.
For me, so far, just using this one works:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/bart/2.6.0-test11-bart1/broken-out/nforce2-apic.patch
[SNIP]
The patch works for a lot of people. I've seen those drive
errors, irq7 disabled, spurious 8259a messages with a
bios and acpi and apic and lapic and linux acpi handling
conflict usually related to nforce2 and amd cpu's are
usually involved.

My nforce2 amd system got to working with apic and lapic
and acpi when I did a bios flash update.

I also tried flashing the BIOS, but that was a complete disaster.
I have a BioStar motherboard (M7NCD Pro), and when I flashed to the 1007
BIOS, I started getting segfaults during init, was unable to log in most
times, and the machine was generally unusable.

When I reflashed to the (old) 0630 BIOS, the above patch worked its
magic.

Incidentally, everyone should stay away from the 1007 BIOS for the
M7NCD Pro.

-Roberto