Re: udev sysfs docs Re: State of devfs in 2.6?

From: Greg KH
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 18:42:04 EST

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 02:09:47PM -0500, Bob wrote:
> William Lee Irwin III wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 03:36:26PM +0000, Andrew Walrond wrote:
> >

> >>Whats the general feeling about devfs now? I remember Christoph and
> >>others making some nasty remarks about it 6months ago or so, but later
> >>noted christoph doing some slashing and burning thereof.
> >>Is it 'nice' yet?
> >>Andrew Walrond
> >>

> >I would say it's deprecated at the very least. sysfs and udev are
> >supposed to provide equivalent functionality, albeit by a somewhat
> >different mechanism.
> >

> >-- wli
> >
> Where can we find documentation on sysfs and udev,
> and on transition issues?

Oh come on, google for "udev FAQ". It's been posted here a number of
times...

> I know devfs hasn't been maintained for a long time but the
> documentation for it comes with kernel source and there it is in
> menuconfig.

udev is a user program, and it's documentation is not in the kernel
tree. It's within the source of udev, and is quite extensive.

> Every time I hear that udev and sysfs replace devfs I
> wonder where to pick up the thread, where is that doc,
> where is the menuconfig option ;-)

There is neither. You always get sysfs in 2.6, and udev is a user
program. No kernel options to enable (well, you do need CONFIG_HOTPLUG
enabled I guess...)

Please read the udev docs and FAQ, it is there for a reason.

greg k-h