Re: const versus __attribute__((const))

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 12:52:07 EST

Arnd Bergmann wrote:
H. Peter Anvin writes:

I have made a patch against the current tree defining
__attribute_const__ in <linux/compiler.h> and using it in the above
cases; does anyone know any reason why I should *NOT* submit this to
Linus?

I noticed before that gcc appearantly ignores __attribute__((const))
for inline functions, so both the original and your proposed code
is rather pointless as an optimization, except for extern declarations.

I'd rather remove the 'const' completely where it causes warnings for
inline functions.

These functions are available to userspace, though, and can be compiled with -O0; thus not inlined.

-hpa