Kernel 2.6.0-testX show stoppers

From: Roberto Sanchez
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 10:29:58 EST

I am having some problems getting 2.6.0-test11 working on my 2 boxes.
I am hoping that someone here can provide me some insight so that I
can provide some useful info to help get these solved.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Roberto

Here goes:

Box 1:

Athlon XP 2500+, 1 GB RAM, 120 GB HDD
nVidia nForce2 chipset
ATI Radeon 9000 Pro w/ 128 MB

This machine just randomly and frequently locks up under any 2.6.x
kernel. I can't find a particular pattern, but it happens every few
minutes (enough to make the machine unusable). It is now running a
2.4.23 kernel.

Box 2:

Toshiba Satellite 2805-S401 (laptop)
P-III 700 MHz, 256 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD
Intel 440BX chipset
S3 Savage IX/MV 8 MB video

Problem: Every kernel after 2.6.0-test4 gives me a hard lock-up during
the boot sequence when PCMCIA services start. No 2.4.x kernel ever did
this, and 2.6.0-test1 thru -test4 work fine. I have narrowed the problem to the point where the yenta_socket socket module is inserted.
However, if I pass acpi=off as a kernel boot parameter, it does not lock
up. Also, if I build PCMCIA support directly into the kernel,
everything works. I am currently running 2.6.0-test11 with PCMCIA
built in (but I would like it to be modular).

I am also receiving the following errors on boot when my scripts
set up the parameters on my HDD and CD/DVD (this is also particular
to the post -test4 kernels):

hda: dma_intr: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }

hda: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }

hda: drive not ready for command
hda: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }

hda: drive not ready for command
hda: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }

hda: DMA disabled
hda: drive not ready for command
hda: set_drive_speed_status: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }

But, eventhough it says DMA is disabled, it is still enabled.

# hdparm /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
multcount = 16 (on)
IO_support = 1 (32-bit)
unmaskirq = 1 (on)
using_dma = 1 (on)
keepsettings = 0 (off)
readonly = 0 (off)
readahead = 256 (on)
geometry = 38760/16/63, sectors = 39070080, start = 0