Re: Linux GPL and binary module exception clause?

From: Jason Kingsland
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 12:31:50 EST

Linus wrote:
> There's a clarification that user-space programs that use the standard
> system call interfaces aren't considered derived works

If it said "user-space" or "non-kernel address space" in the Linux license
then I would agree.

But the exact wording is much more vague:

"user programs that use kernel services by normal system calls"

Any binary loadable kernel module can be considered a "user program"
Any interface defined in the kernel header files can be considered a "normal
system call"

This is why I think further clarification is warranted in future versions of
copying.txt - because we are needlessly giving away the source-code freedom
that GPL is intended to protect.

The proponents of binary-only kernel modules currently use the above as a
defense to argue their case for GPL non-compliance.