Re: XFS for 2.4

From: bill davidsen
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 17:31:48 EST

In article <20031203214819.GD11065@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Joel Becker <Joel.Becker@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

| Just another datapoint. On my 300MHz PII laptop, ls and tab
| completion often hang, taking up 100% CPU on -test11. 2.4.19-pre3-ac2,
| my 2.4 kernel, doesn't even blip the CPU.

That's funny! I'm running 2.4.19-pre2-ac2 plus three patches which
solved something I'd have to rethink to describe. But most of my laptops
suspend fine with APM and 2.4, and suspend fine with 2.6 and ACPI but
never return to life... I realize APM is depreciated with 2.6, so I'm
resigned to 2.4 on those machines.

| That said, -test11 performs much better than 2.4.2[01], which
| used to pause the system entirely for 30 seconds or more.
| If there are any knobs I can turn to tweak this, I'm interested.

The last time I tried Nick's patches was on test15, there are only so
many hours in my day, and my best test machine is slow enough to
discourage building a lot of kernels. You might see if his version 15
patches will work on test11, or if test10-mm1 works better for you.
Since you're looking for knobs... You might also look at the swappiness
(/proc/sys/vm/swappiness) to see if that changes the stuff which bugs
you.
--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc