Re: Silicon Image 3112A SATA trouble

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sun Nov 30 2003 - 13:28:31 EST

Craig Bradney wrote:
On the topic of speeds.. hdparm -t gives me 56Mb/s on my Maxtor 80Mb 8mb
cache PATA drive. I got that with 2.4.23 pre 8 which was ATA100 and get
just a little more on ATA133 with 2.6. Not sure what people are
expecting on SATA.

Serial ATA merely changes the bus, a.k.a. the interface between drive and system.

This doesn't mean that the drive itself will be any faster... most first-gen SATA drives are just PATA drives with a new circuit board and new firmware. Just like some SCSI and IDE drives are exactly the same platters, but have differing circuit boards and connectors...

Jeff