Re: Silicon Image 3112A SATA trouble

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sun Nov 30 2003 - 12:59:43 EST

Jens Axboe wrote:
On Sun, Nov 30 2003, Jeff Garzik wrote:

Jens Axboe wrote:

On Sun, Nov 30 2003, Jeff Garzik wrote:

Jens Axboe wrote:

On Sun, Nov 30 2003, Jeff Garzik wrote:

fond of partial completions, as I feel they add complexity, particularly so in my case: I can simply use the same error paths for both the single-sector taskfile and the "everything else" taskfile, regardless of which taskfile throws the error.

It's just a questions of maintaining the proper request state so you
know how much and what part of a request is pending. Requests have been
handled this way ever since clustered requests, that is why
current_nr_sectors differs from nr_sectors. And with hard_* duplicates,
it's pretty easy to extend this a bit. I don't see this as something
complex, and if the alternative you are suggesting (your implementation
idea is not clear to me...) is to fork another request then I think it's
a lot better.

[snip howto]

Yeah, I know how to do partial completions. The increased complexity arises in my driver. It's simply less code in my driver to treat each transaction as an "all or none" affair.

For the vastly common case, it's less i-cache and less interrupts to do all-or-none. In the future I'll probably want to put partial completions in the error path...

Oh come one, i-cache? We're doing IO here, a cache line more or less in
request handling is absolutely so much in the noise.

What are the "increased complexity" involved with doing partial
completions? You don't even have to know it's a partial request in the
error handling, it's "just the request" state. Honestly, I don't see a
problem there. You'll have to expand on what exactly you see as added
complexity. To me it still seems like the fastest and most elegant way
to handle it. It requires no special attention on request buildup, it
requires no extra request and ugly split-code in the request handling.
And the partial-completions come for free with the block layer code.

libata, drivers/ide, and SCSI all must provide internal "submit this taskfile/cdb" API that is decoupled from struct request. Therefore,

Yes

submitting a transaction pair, or for ATAPI submitting the internal REQUEST SENSE, is quite simple and only a few lines of code.

SCSI already does these partial completions...

Any extra diddling of the hardware, and struct request, to provide partial completions is extra code. The hardware is currently set up to provide only "it's done" or "it failed" information. Logically, then, partial completions must be more code than the current <none> ;-)

That's not a valid argument. Whatever you do, you have to add some lines
of code.

Right. But the point with mentioning "decouple[...]" above was that the most simple path is to submit two requests to hardware, and then a single function call into {scsi|block} to complete the transaction.

Current non-errata case: 1 taskfile, 1 completion func call
Upcoming errata solution: 2 taskfiles, 1 completion func call
Your errata suggestion seems to be: 2 taskfiles, 2 completion func calls

That's obviously more work and more code for the errata case.

And for the non-errata case, partial completions don't make any sense at all.

WRT error handling, according to ATA specs I can look at the error
information to determine how much of the request, if any, completed
successfully. (dunno if this is also doable on ATAPI) That's why
partial completions in the error path make sense to me.

... so if you do partial completions in the normal paths (or rather
allow them), error handling will be simpler. And we all know where the

In the common non-errata case, there is never a partial completion.

hard and stupid bugs are - the basically never tested error handling.

I have :) libata error handling is stupid and simple, but it's also solid and easy to verify. Yet another path to be honed, of course :)

see. I'll implement whichever is easier first, which will certainly
be better than the current sledgehammer limit. Any improvement over
the

Definitely, the current static limit completely sucks...

current code will provide dramatic performance increases, and we can
tune after that...

A path needs to be chosen first, though.

The path has been chosen: the "it works" solution first, then tune.
:)

Since one path excludes the other, you must choose a path first. Tuning
is honing a path, not rewriting that code.

The first depends on the second. The "it works" solution creates the path to be honed.

Jeff