Re: Silicon Image 3112A SATA trouble

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sun Nov 30 2003 - 11:47:08 EST

Mark Hahn wrote:
So folks, try libata, as well.

Thanks :)

what do you think the chances are of libata becoming the primary ata
interface for 2.4 and 2.6? there have always been major changes even
to stable releases in the past, at least when the change seems to be a big improvement.

"primary ata interface" is a bit tough to define. Serial ATA will become _the_ ATA interface on motherboards of the future. From a software perspective, it really only matters what hardware driver you load...

incidentally, can you give me any clues to description/discussion you
might have engaged in about libata? I saw your prog-ref pdf, but it doesn't really describe the motivation, issues of going scsi, etc.
(I looked at lkml and google, but couldn't filter well enough...)

Mostly just design in my head, plus a bit of discussion at the Kernel Summit earlier this year.

feel free to reply to lkml. libata design/status/future is clearly of general interest...

I'm putting together a "Serial ATA status report", to be posted to lkml and linux-scsi, which should hopefully cover all that. Your email kicks me into action again, for that report, for which I should thank you :)

Jeff