Re: Too soon for stable release?

From: Russell King
Date: Sat Nov 29 2003 - 12:13:50 EST

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 09:01:04AM -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
> The news media hasn't picked up on this yet, they seem to think that
> 2.6.0 is something that will be useful. It won't be, there will be a
> period of months during which things stablize and then you'll see the
> distros pick up the release. I don't remember where it was exactly
> (2.4.18?) but Red Hat waited quite a while before switching to 2.4
> from 2.2. This is normal and it works out quite well in practice.

Red Hat did a 2.4.2 release which was 2.4.2 + a lot of stability changes.
IIRC, RH7.x was based on 2.4.7, with updates to 2.4.9, 2.4.18 and finally
2.4.20-based kernels. However, I also seem to remember each of these had
a fair number of patches applied.

I'm sure Arjan will correct me if I got the above wrong.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 PCMCIA - http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/