Re: 2.4.23pre6aa3 - possible ext3 deadlock

From: Jan Kara
Date: Thu Nov 27 2003 - 07:58:24 EST

Hi,

> Followup to last test with 2.4.23pre6aa3. same config as before (ext3
> /ql2300 / bonnie++) I forgot to mention that I have quotas enabled on
> the partition under test.
>
> There have been a few 2.4 / quota / ext3 deadlock-type mails on the
> list recently so I'm sot sure if this is related. I can see an atime
> update in the call trace of one of the bonnies but no dquot_ calls
> anywhere. I haven't applied Jan's patch as it came out before I could
> reliably reproduce this problem.
Yes, actually there's still a deadlock there for ext3+quotas (patch is
already written but not yet included in mainline I think) but as I've
looked through the trace it doesn't seem to be the case. About a week
ago I saw a report on deadlock of 2.4.22 with just plain ext3 without
quotas - so can you try to reproduce the problem with quotas not
compiled into the kernel (or just turning them off should be enough)?

> In the meantime I'll restart testing with noatime - which is how I'd
> usually mount such a fs anyhow.
>
> The box seems to deadlock after 3-6 days of filesystem exercise. I have
> repeated this 3 times. The last run was 6 days and and then I see all
> disk I/O has ceased. The system remains pingable and sshd connects at
> the TCP layer but nothing happens after that. The root filesystem is
> ext3 but is a completely separate device (motherboard scsi) to the
> filesystems running bonnie (external FC RAID). It seems that all
> filesystem activity ceases.
>
> I have run the alt-sysrq-t ouput through ksymoops and attached. Hope
> this is useful to someone who knows.

Thanks for report
Honza