Re: 2.4.20-18 size-4096 memory leaks

From: Stephen C. Tweedie
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 06:57:52 EST

Hi,

On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 10:57, Jean Delvare wrote:

> I just wanted to let you know that I have been experiencing similar
> leaks. So far, I wasn't enable to find where the leak was, but your
> theory matches my observations:
>
> 1* On two systems running 2.4.20-2.4.22 kernels, I observed that the
> free memory as reported by top was going down regularly, by blocks of 4
> or 8kB at an average rate of 90kB/min. Sometimes the value would
> stabilize, but I couldn't understand why. What was lost as "free"
> memory
> increased "buffers" from the same amount.

That's not a leak, it simply sounds like cache effects. atime updates
result in journal commits under ext3, and those use at least a couple of
buffers at a time (one for the metadata descriptor block in the journal,
one for the journal commit.) Those aren't leaks --- they are temporary
use of cache, and once the IO has complete the memory can be immediately
reclaimed by the kernel if it is needed for anything else.

Cheers,
Stephen