Re: [RFC] Simplify node/zone portion of page->flags

From: Jesse Barnes
Date: Mon Nov 24 2003 - 18:33:10 EST

On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 02:49:03PM -0800, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 02:40:52PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > > zone_num. This makes it trivial to recover either the node or zone
> > > number with a simple bitshift. There are many places in the kernel
> > > where we do things like: page_zone(page)->zone_pgdat->node_id to
> > > determine the node a page belongs to. With this patch we save several
> > > pointer dereferences, and it boils down to shifting some bits.
> >
> > This rather conflicts with the patch from Jesse which I have. Can you guys
> > work that out and let me know when you're done?
>
> I like Matt's patch, but haven't tested it yet. I'll try it out on
> Monday.

Matt, this looks ok (at least it boots on my test system). I wasn't
able test it on a very large system though, but it looks functionally
identical to the patch in Andrew's tree. Btw, you probably want to put
() around NODEZONE_SHIFT + ZONES_SHIFT in page_nodenum() otherwise gcc
will complain loudly.

Jesse