Re: data from kernel.bkbits.net

From: Larry McVoy
Date: Mon Nov 24 2003 - 17:25:20 EST

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 04:34:43PM -0500, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 03:05:24PM -0500, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> > > Attempt to copy the raw drive to /dev/null. If that works, the
> > > drive is likely okay, but the fs got fsucked up by software. You
> > > might be able to mount the drive on a 2.4.22 machine if you have a
> > > spare. Then you might be able to selectively copy important stuff
> > > to another drive, after which you can make a new file-system as
> > > a "repair".
> >
> > The error messages Larry reported were obviously reported by the
> > hardware, and were **not** filesystem errors.
> >
> > - Ted
>
> Yes but an attempt to read beyond the limits of the physical
> drive will provide you with a lot of **interesting** hardware
> errors. This happens if the file-system gets corrupt.

Yeah, I think Richard may be right. Anyway, the drive sort of reads
from the raw partition. It gets a IDE reset and then it reads. I can
read it a second time with no reset. Haven't tried a reboot between
reads, hang on, yeah, a reboot brings the errors back.

But, fscking the dd-ed image gets me less errors so I'm trying that
route to get the data back.
--
---