Re: Intel centrino drivers being withheld?

From: Felipe Alfaro Solana
Date: Mon Nov 24 2003 - 05:17:39 EST

On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 10:50, Andrew Walrond wrote:

> Well, I am demanding, and my patience is running very thin. And Amd look to be
> releasing 64bit mobile parts soon, and appear to be very linux friendly. Am I
> the only one getting annoyed about this?

No, you're not alone... Although I don't have a Centrino-powered machine
at the moment, the way Intel is behaving is stopping for me for even
thinking on buying a new laptop replacement.

I think this kind of disinterest on Linux Centrino drivers is motivated
by the fact that Microsoft has a strong relationship with Intel and
since, like it or not, Windows has 90% of the desktop market, Intel
doesn't see the motivation to spend a few hundred dollars in building
the driver themselves.

However, they could at least release the documentation. Since the driver
is, I think, going to be GPL'ed, they don't have to fear releasing the
internals of Centrino.