Re: modular IDE in 2.4.23

From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
Date: Sun Nov 23 2003 - 15:22:59 EST

On Sunday 23 of November 2003 18:08, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:
> > On Sunday 23 of November 2003 01:54, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:
> > > Could you give more specific hints how to fix ,,other stuff''?
> >
> > Did this in not the right way probably but it works fine for me (just
> > modular ide tested):
> >
> > http://cvs.pld-linux.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/SOURCES/linux-2.4.23-modular-ide.
> >patch?rev=1.9
> >
> > [misiek@arm ~]$ lsmod | grep ide
> > ide-scsi 9904 0
> > scsi_mod 93888 2 [sg ide-scsi]
> > ide-cd 30944 0
> > cdrom 29248 0 [ide-cd]
> > ide-disk 16076 13
> > ide-core 104504 13 [ide-scsi ide-cd ide-disk pdc202xx_new
> > via82cxxx]
> >
> > Thanks for hint (now only cmd640 isse left for me).

> Arkadiusz,

Unfortunately this patch is not sufficient.

> I agree with you that modular IDE (I dont care that much about the
> cmd640 really) should work on 2.4.23.

Some people want cmd640 fixes in 2.4.23, really!

> I dont think the "ide-probe-mini" is required though. Just calling
> the ide-probe.o init functions from IDE init should work right?

"ide-probe-mini" is not required and just calling init functions from IDE init
won't work (will break modular chipsets).

> Does the attached patch work for you (it moves ide-probe into ide-core,
> as Alan mentioned) ?

It will break drives probing for all modular chipset drivers.

Uh. Oh. 2.4.23 IDE changes are obscure... Modular IDE breakage is caused by
Alan's hotplug changes and is not easy to fix properly.

I would like to have these changes removed:
(a) they break modular IDE
(b) such changes should be first added to 2.6 and then backported to 2.4
(otherwise you are magically creating regression in 2.6)
(c) they are ugly and will cause much maintaining headache
(and it seems it won't be Alan who will suffer ;))

Anyway it is up to you :-).

cheers,
--bart