Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Specific Processor Optimizations on x86 Architecture

From: Rob
Date: Thu Oct 23 2003 - 12:29:01 EST

> I don't want to have to hand edit the makefiles just to optimize my kernel.
> I think this change is simple enough to do, and would allow kernel
> developers the option of processor-specific optimizations in the future.

yea, it's simple enough to do.
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/Makefile, line 94. Add "-march *" as you wish.
Now all that talent was wasted on this, all this time... for something so
small, only that you want that simple fix made available for everyone. DIY
like the rest of the people who are already building their own kernel(!!!)

look: every time i build, i have to uncomment "export install_path=/boot".
go figure out why i never asked them to change it for me, and stop biting the
hand that feeds.

--
Don't be fooled... if you can help it.