Re: nforce2 random lockups - still no solution ?

From: James Courtier-Dutton
Date: Thu Oct 23 2003 - 07:41:53 EST

Samuel Kvasnica wrote:
Dear Gabor,

thantks a lot, indeed you are right ! I've been confused by some nforce FAQs where 'nolapic' option was recommended. In fact I did never check whether this option
really exists. Now, after recompiling the kernel the framegrabber works with uncompressed stream for almost 24h and it is rock-solid.

So, a workaround recommendation for all using ivtv driver on nforce2 chipsets and kernels up to 2.4.22:

*** RECOMPILE YOUR KERNEL WITH LOCAL APIC DISABLED ***,

otherwise you'll experience very rare random lockups while watching the compressed stream and lockups within 10 minutes when watching the uncompressed
yuv stream.

What I'd like to know is whether this bug is AMD processor or chipset related. Is there a patch available ? I tried 2.6.0-test8 and it wasn't stable. I'd prefer to use APIC instead of XT-PIC because some drivers e.g. kernel DRM don't support shared interrupts and I can't get own interrupt for the video card.

Sam

Vitez Gabor wrote:

Hi,