FEATURE REQUEST: Specific Processor Optimizations on x86 Architecture

From: Joseph D. Wagner
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 18:56:36 EST

Yes, I know you can select Pentium III, Pentium 4, Athlon, etc, under
processor type when doing a 'make xconfig', but those selections do not
translate into the appropriate -mcpu and -march flags.

While the kernel on x86 architecture can be optimized in terms of generic
processor specifications (i.e. i386, i486, i586, i686), the kernel can't be
optimized beyond a i686.

If you select Pentium III, the -march flag is set to i686.
If you select Pentium 4, the -march flag is set to i686.
If you select Athlon 4, the -march flag is set to i686.
If you select Athlon XP, the -march flag is set to i686.

It should be that...

If you select Pentium III, the -march flag is set to pentium3.
If you select Pentium 4, the -march flag is set to pentium4.
If you select Athlon 4, the -march flag is set to athlon-4.
If you select Athlon XP, the -march flag is set to athlon-xp.

I don't want to have to hand edit the makefiles just to optimize my kernel.
I think this change is simple enough to do, and would allow kernel
developers the option of processor-specific optimizations in the future.

TIA.

Joseph D. Wagner