2.6.0-test8 backlight and sound problems (PMU) on PPC

From: C S Rosenmund
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 17:19:24 EST

Hardware is an early iBook (first gen - Clamshell)

with 2.6.0-test8, sound does not recover from sleep when an application is using it when the notebook is slept (can be reproduced: using pysol, with sound enabled, close the lid to sleep the laptop, then anytime after the sound stops (indicating that the laptop is sleeping) open the lid. Sound does not return, and the application does not close) The symptoms (indicated above) seem to point to the sound module (also when compiled into the kernel) hanging up on sleep. Sound hardware is pmac-dmasound.

two problems on the backlight (probably related):
the backlight control buttons do not work (the brightness of the backlight does not change) and when the laptop goes to sleep, the backlight does not turn off (it does turn off for console blanking as in when the unit is left idle for some time, and the screen goes blank).

I was unable to find any reference to this in the archives, so I'm not sure if this has been noticed yet.

Results of ver_linux:
Linux Blueberry 2.6.0-test8 #10 Tue Oct 21 22:02:41 PDT 2003 ppc GNU/Linux

Gnu C 3.3.2
Gnu make 3.80
util-linux 2.12
mount 2.12
module-init-tools 0.9.15-pre2
e2fsprogs 1.35-WIP
PPP 2.4.2b3
nfs-utils 1.0.5
Linux C Library 2.3.2
Dynamic linker (ldd) 2.3.2
Procps 3.1.12
Net-tools 1.60
Console-tools 0.2.3
Sh-utils 5.0.91
Modules Loaded dmasound_pmac dmasound_core soundcore
Blueberry:/usr/src/linux-2.6.0-test8/scripts#

do you need more info than this? If so, what?

Sanjay
gnuman@xxxxxxxxxxx