Re: 2.6.0-test8-mm1

From: Thomas Schlichter
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 17:54:28 EST

On Tuesday 21 October 2003 22:42, James Simmons wrote:
> > > This patch was fine. 2.6.0-test8 with this patch booted and
> > > looked no different from plain 2.6.0-test8. I am using it for
> > > writing this. The problems must be in mm1 somehow.
> > >
> > > Helge Hafting
>
> Yeah!!!
>
> > Well here I've got same problems for -test8 + fbdev-patch as with
> > -test8-mm1. I've compiled the kernel with most DEBUG_* options enabled
> > (all but DEBUG_INFO and KGDB) and see the same cursor and image
> > corruption as with -mm1 and the same options enabled.
> >
> > Should I try compiling this kernel without the DEBUG_* options and watch
> > if I get the invalidate_list Oops again?
>
> Yes. I'm using vesafb and I have no problems. I liek to see what the
> problem really is.

OK, without any of the DEBUG_* options enabled the kernel SEEMS to work with
no problems. But I don't know how I can assure there actually is no memory
corruption...

For me the big question stays why enabling the DEBUG_* options results in a
corrupt cursor and the false dots on the top of each row... (with both
kernels)

And, of course, why enabling vesafb in -mm1 leads to memory corruption. (as
Vladis already mentioned, the same binary works if vesafb is not enabled via
the 'vga=xxx' boot option).

Regards
Thomas