[2.6.0-test8] Difference between Software Suspend and Suspend-to-disk?

From: John Mock
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 16:16:38 EST

> > They're competing implementations of the same mechanism.
>
> And neither one works reliably, I might add. They both appear to save
> the current state to disk, but no matter what I try, I can't make it
> resume properly.

Well, I could suspend/resume correctly first time I tried (runlevel 2 and
disabling nearly everything to minimize loss of data on crash).

The second test in X resulted in a 'double fault'...

What happens if you turn off X and/or run X in some kind of framebuffer
mode (probably VESA mode)? That's the only way it will work for me.

The native mode X drivers like to hack the hardware (look at all the PCI
analysis in XFree86.0.log if you want to see what i'm talking about).
If X sets up the hardware in a special way, then if LINUX gets suspend
and resumed (re-booted, from the standpoint of the display hardware),
then any state that X set up for itself will be hopelessly lost.

So i'm not sure X in DRI mode can work at all, at least, not the version
that i'm running (4.2.1-11).
-- JM