Re: VIA IDE performance under 2.6.0-test7/8?

From: James Courtier-Dutton
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 13:31:32 EST

James Finnie wrote:
Hi guys;

Am having trouble getting decent IDE performance from the 2.6.0-test8 kernel
(tested with 2.6.0-test7 kernel also, same issue). The platform is VIA
EPIA-ME6000 - with a VIA VT8235 southbridge. Under 2.4.21 I get around
40Mb/s in hdparm -t and 70Mb/s for hdparm -T. Under the 2.6.0-test7/8 I
only manage 13Mb/s & 52Mb/s respectively! I've attached my .config, and the
output of /proc/ide/via, dmesg, and hdparm info. I don't think I'm doing
anything particularly stupid here, but if I am, hit me with a wet fish
please :)

Thanks for all help,

James

Can you also send the output from "cat /proc/interrupts".
It looks like you are not using IO-APIC, but instead using XT-PIC.
XT-PIC is a lot slower than IO-APIC.

Just turn on SMB support in the "make menuconf", and it should enable IO-APIC.

If you cannot boot using IO-APIC, you probably have one of the bad VIA motherboards. I have not determined if the IO-APIC issues with VIA VT8235 MBs is hardware or software related. All I know, is some VIA VT8235 MBs work, and some don't. I am still investigating why.

Cheers

James