Re: 2.6.0-test8-mm1

From: bill davidsen
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 10:55:28 EST

In article <20031020020558.16d2a776.akpm@xxxxxxxx>,
Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

| ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.0-test8/2.6.0-test8-mm1
|

| . Included a much updated fbdev patch. Anyone who is using framebuffers,
| please test this.
|
| . Quite a large number of stability fixes.
|

| Changes since 2.6.0-test7-mm1:

| +devfs-initrd-fix.patch
|
| Fix initrd when devfs is in use

I casually followed the thread on this, is this a band-aid or a magic
spell of healing? Do you consider this a "real fix" for the various
problems people reported?

| +export-system_running.patch
| +might_sleep-early-bogons.patch
|
| Stomp all the early might_sleep() warnings.

Sort of the same question, were the warnings really bogus, or were
people just not doing the things which might cause a real error?

| +slab-leak-detector.patch
| +slab-leak-detector-tweaks.patch
|
| A slab debugging tool for finding memory leaks: do
|
| echo "slab-name 0 0 0" > /proc/slabinfo
|
| and the kernel will inspect each live object in that cache and will print
| out the code address from which the allocation was performed.

Neat!

| +parport_pc-resource-release-fix.patch
|
| Fix an oopsable resource leak in parport_pc.

I'll try my old parport ZIP drive (ppa) again this weekend.

| +ext3-latency-fix.patch
|
| Improved scheduling latency in ext3.

Did someone have measurements on this?

Compiling as I type.