Re: Blockbusting news, results are in

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 03:44:53 EST

On Sun, 2003-10-19 11:16:42 +0900, Norman Diamond <ndiamond@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message <1c6401c395e7$16630d00$3eee4ca5@DIAMONDLX60>:
> After a few other experiments, I used smartctl to direct the drive to do a
> long self-test. When it completed, we observed that the drive had
> self-diagnosed a read failure on the same bad sector number as always, and
> we observed that the drive did not reallocate the bad block during long
> self-tests.

Maybe the drive can't remap the block because there's no free space in
the remap area available any more...

In this case, the real problem is that the drive doesn't tell in advance
that is already remapped some blocks.

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@xxxxxxxxxx . +49-172-7608481
"Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg