Re: [2.6 patch] add a config option for -Os compilation

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 03:23:09 EST

On Sat, 2003-10-18 12:21:27 +0200, Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message <20031018102127.GE12423@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 04:52:05PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > I really doubt it. Kernel CPU footprint is dominated by dcache misses. If
> > -Os reduces icache footprint it may even be a net win; people tend to
> > benchmark things in tight loops, which favours fast code over small code.
>
> The main effect of -Os compared to -O2 (besides disabling some
> reordering of the code and prefetching) is the disabling of various
> alignments. I doubt that's a win on all CPUs.

I definively *like* to see -Os be configureable by user. It's *big* win
for a lowmem system. There, the actual "running speed" may be limited by
HDD swap speed, and having a smaller kernel means having more pages left
to luserspace...

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@xxxxxxxxxx . +49-172-7608481
"Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg