Yenta freeze on laptop with O2Micro cardbus controller.

From: Martin Fejrskov Pedersen
Date: Mon Oct 20 2003 - 15:43:55 EST

Hi!
In the changelog of kernel 2.4.22 stable Alan Cox mentions a "fix yenta hang
on some laptops" in the summary of changes from v2.4.22-pre5 to v2.4.22-pre6.
I was extatic to have a look at this, since I've had this problem for a long
time with my laptop. The problem still exists, however.

The laptop is a Chicony MP­-995 with an 02micro cardbus controller. There
are no relevant BIOS settings (such as "PNP OS = off") available. I have tried
to disable serial ports etc. in the BIOS and tried to insert the port and
memory values reported by Win98 in /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia and
/etc/pcmcia/config.opts and excluded already used interrupts, as reported
by /proc/interrupts.

I have tried Mandrake version 8.2 upwards including 9.1, RedHat 9.0 and
Knoppix 3.1. All make the computer freeze. With older RedHats and Mandrakes
everything is fine, most likely because they changed from the
non-kernel-pcmcia-thingies to the yenta-thingy.

I suspect that it's maybe flaky IO-port/IRQ probing or kernel module(s), since
on boot, the kernel says something about not being able to find an IRQ
router. I don't know how to proceed, since I have run dry on ideas. Is there
something, I can do to help solve this problem, without having to learn
everything about pcmcia and yenta?

Regards
Martin Fejrskov
Denmark

PS: I tried to send this mail directly to Alan Cox, but as we all know, he is
on autoresponder right now. I sent it to Rik van Riel, who directed me here.
If there is a more appropriate forum, please tell me.