RE: Blockbusting news, results are in

From: Mudama, Eric
Date: Mon Oct 20 2003 - 09:09:06 EST

With "today's generation" of ATA drives, WD and Maxtor stop at 3 platters,
and Seagate stops at a 2-platter design.

Everyone wants to make a 4-platter drive, but for their rather small
volumes, most people find it isn't cost effective.

> You're assuming that a head-switch is faster than a
> track-to-track seek. Apparently that is no longer true.
> We've seen drives that "scan" a whole platter before
> switching heads. We've seen drives that do this on a
> per-region basis.

Track-to-track seeks are faster than headswitches because you don't have to
worry about radial comb imbalance (head A is only guaranteed to be within
some tolerance of head B, this creates your 'skew').

Most vendors these days have a "modified horizontal format" which does some
small number of cylinders (16?) then a headswitch, so that they slowly walk
inward.

Drives that walk the entire platter then headswitch haven't existed for
years I'm quite sure, at least not in modern ATA drives. Headswitches after
each zone would possibly make sense, but it can make it noticably more
complicated to estimate the time for a seek, which is the key to good
performance. (e.g. your "local area" IO becomes IO across potentially
thousands of cylinders)

> How about: "Opening it up and having a peek?" :-) That certainly
> works. But most vendors don't let me do that before I buy. :-)

Before you buy? um, no =P

--eric