Re: Blockbusting news, results are in

From: John Bradford
Date: Mon Oct 20 2003 - 02:31:23 EST

> > I think the fs driver layer might be the wrong thing too; maybe it'd be
> > best to do the CRC and/or checksumming at the block layer?
>
> I think that's best place.

Yes, because you can then use it on ST-506 disks if you really want
to, and never see a bad block at the filesystem level. It also means
that people with drives that do defect management to their
satisfaction don't need the overhead of the defect management in
software layer, however small it may be.

John.