Re: Blockbusting news, results are in

From: Rogier Wolff
Date: Sun Oct 19 2003 - 03:41:50 EST

On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 12:17:16PM +0400, Hans Reiser wrote:
> What are the common sources of data corruption, is one of them that the
> drive head starts bumping the media more and more often because a
> bearing (or something) has started to show signs of wear?

I'm not sure if the manufacturer knows. Datarecovery companies
know.

Sources of dataloss are:

- Software
- crooked platters (especially on laptop drives)
- heads bouncing on platter
- broken electronics.

They more or less happen in about the same number of cases.

The fact that we see less "high end" disks doesn't mean they break
down less. It might mean that they get sold less (true), or that the
people that buy them make better backups (probably also true).

Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff@xxxxxxxxxxxx ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
**** "Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside!" ****