Re: Blockbusting news, results are in

From: Rogier Wolff
Date: Sun Oct 19 2003 - 03:14:58 EST

On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 01:37:03AM -0600, Mudama, Eric wrote:
> About 2.5 years ago, Maxtor's largest drive was 60GB... 15GB/head. Now
> we're shipping 250GB drives with 6 heads also... ~42GB/head, almost triple

Know your maxtor drives: Maxtor has been shipping 4-platter, 8 head
drives for quite a long time. Only recently am I starting to see the
largest maxtor-drive from a family having the space to carry 4
platters, but none of the expected capacity are shipping (*).... Care
to explain?

Eric, do you know why maxtor stopped putting the number of heads
in the model number? (It's the last number in the model number, just
after the letter. Currently all drives set this to "0"). It was quite
convenient for us to know what to expect from a 92720U8, 98196H8,
96147H8 and 4G160J8. (Hmmm apparently, we're mostly buying the
"largest of the family" drives: they all have 8 heads! I just
looked at the models in some of our computers.)

Roger.

(e.g. the 250G model seems to be a 6-head disk, and not 8-head).

--
** R.E.Wolff@xxxxxxxxxxxx ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
**** "Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside!" ****