Re: Blockbusting news, results are in

From: Hans Reiser
Date: Sun Oct 19 2003 - 03:09:44 EST

Larry McVoy wrote:

I've told you guys over and over that you need to CRC the data in user
space, we do that in our backup scripts and it tells us when the drives
are going bad. S

Why do the CRC in user space, that requires modifying every one of 7000+ applications (if I understand you correctly, which is far from a sure thing;-) )?

Write a reiser4 CRC file plugin. It would take a weekend, and most of the work would be cut and pasting from the default file plugin..

I understand why you do it in BK, but for user space as a whole user space is the wrong place.