Re: initrd and 2.6.0-test8

From: viro
Date: Sat Oct 18 2003 - 14:57:56 EST

On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 03:41:43PM -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 20:02:15 +0200, Witold Krecicki <adasi@xxxxxxxxx> said:
>
> > But do you have HDD-controller parts as modules or built-in? According to the
> > changelog message, if initrd is detected as 'usual initrd' (e.g. not
> > initramfs), then it's copied to /dev/initrd on rootfs. But as I understand,
> > there is no such thing as rootfs as long as it isn't mounted (ide/scsi
> > modules are not loaded
>
> What happens in the case of a devfs-based system where the real rootfs
> can't be mounted till after the initrd is loaded, because / is on an LVM
> volume?

Guys, rootfs is there from the very beginning. It's just a ramfs - doesn't
require any drivers, is writable and is there. We mount ramdisks, final
root, devfs, etc. on it. Presense of drivers doesn't matter - we don't
need any drivers to access that beast, since it just sits in pagecache.
No backing device at all.

> I know my laptop crashed-and-burned on this, even though the IDE
> and LVM modules were built into the kernel....

Details? How long ago had it started, .config, boot log, etc...