RE: Blockbusting news, this is important (Re: Why are bad disk se ctors numbered strangely, and what happens to them?)

From: Matthias Urlichs
Date: Sat Oct 18 2003 - 13:09:42 EST

Hi, Mudama, Eric wrote:

> If current trends hold, in the next few years, hard drives are going to have
> to pick up and rewrite their data continuously to avoid signal decay on the
> media...

I expect I'd be VERY unhappy if I couldn't put a complete computer in
storage any more, and expect it to work when I turn it back on in two
months / years.

What timeframe are you talking about here anyway?

Oh well, I do remember the times when disks didn't work the next
_day_ because they developed stiction and the only way to get them to run
again was to peel off the label near the center and give the thing a
not-so-gentle push with a screwdriver... in fact we had a contest how long
an 80-MB disk would continue to work with the top off. :-)

--
Matthias Urlichs | {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de | smurf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- -