Re: initrd and 2.6.0-test8

From: Witold Krecicki
Date: Sat Oct 18 2003 - 13:04:58 EST

> On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 09:27:56AM -0700, Walt H wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Seems that something changed between test7 and test8 regarding initrd
> > > or romfs support. I'm using highly modularized 2.6.0 kernel which has
> > > all filesystems beside romfs compiled as modules (romfs is compiled
> > > inside of kernel).
> > >
> > > Modules for my rootfs are loaded from initrd (which is image with romfs
> > > as filesystem) but starting from test8 kernel is not able to mount
> > > initrd filesystem - stops with typical message about not being able to
> > > mount rootfs.
> > >
> > > cset test7 from 20031012_0407 is known to be ok so something was
> > > changed later
> >
> > I noticed this happened in 2.6.0-test6-mm4. Backing out this patch fixes
> > it in the short-term.
>
> Even better would be to report the bug ;-/
>
> I can't reproduce it here. 2.6.0-test8 vanilla, so far (last 15 minutes)
> tried with
> * compressed initrd image
> * plain ext2
> and I'll try romfs as soon as I hunt down mkfs for that animal. All
> appears to be working...
>
> What did it say before the "typical message"? Specifically, were there
> any lines starting with RAMDISK:?
>
> .config would be also useful.

But do you have HDD-controller parts as modules or built-in? According to the
changelog message, if initrd is detected as 'usual initrd' (e.g. not
initramfs), then it's copied to /dev/initrd on rootfs. But as I understand,
there is no such thing as rootfs as long as it isn't mounted (ide/scsi
modules are not loaded
--
Witold Kręcicki (adasi) adasi [at] culm.net
GPG key: 7AE20871