Re: [2.6 patch] add a config option for -Os compilation

From: Ihar 'Philips' Filipau
Date: Sat Oct 18 2003 - 12:11:06 EST

Martin J. Bligh wrote:
If you have a puny 128K L2 cache, it might help,

[ I accept this as a flame-bait. ]
Can you be little bit less ignorant? Eh?
Please. I beg you.
Linux is used not only by you, and not only on huge NUMA boxes with huge caches <flame-bait>to hide stupid design flaws</flame-bait>. (can't wait when clusters of hand-helds connected over bluetooth will wipe out mainframe market :)))

My system has 16K L1 cache. Only L1. And what should I do?
I was benchmarking 2.4.1[68] some time ago and -Os helps gcc to produce faster code (both gcc 2.95.3 and 3.2.3). (It was Geode. But e.g. Motorolla's PowerQuicc has 16K L1 too - but I'm not sure does -Os help on ppc)

On my test difference was around 5-7%. Task was very IO intensive with few of computational branches. Size of .text ~ 800K, .bss ~ 400K.

Please don't - I benchmarked it a while ago, and it's definitely slower.
If you have a puny 128K L2 cache, it might help, but it definitely needs
to be optional.

Optional - would be Okay.

P.S. That's dependency on GCC what should be optional. Let's not forget the source of the problem.

--
Ihar 'Philips' Filipau / with best regards from Saarbruecken.