software suspend / 2.6.0-test7,8

From: Andreas Jellinghaus
Date: Sat Oct 18 2003 - 11:04:54 EST

Hi,

test7:
echo -n disk > /sys/power/state
I thought that would trigger the
linux kernel build in software suspend
(the one in the power management code, not the "swsusp" code). It does
something.
but I thought that would write it's data to
my swap partition, too.

However what happends is, that it looks like
it shuts down, and then I see a screen from my bios, telling me that
suspend failed, because there is no partition to save the data to.

So I wonder: is the power management suspend to disk code meant to work
only in combination with the bios?

With earlier kernels I had success with the swsusp code, it worked fine
without bios support. I will look at that again. Will I need to
remove the power management suspend to disk code from my config to make
the swsusp code work again ? (echo 4 > /proc/acpi/sleep does nothing, it
worked fine with earlier kernels (except vga and wlan)).

test8, compiled without PM_DISK:
swsusp works great! except x11 fullscreen mode doesn't work,
after killing xfree (debian testing) and restarting xfree
it works fine.

/sys/power/state still includes "disk" as supported method,
even though PM_DISK is not compiled in. strange.

Regards, Andreas