Re: [RFC] prevent "dd if=/dev/mem" crash

From: Bjorn Helgaas
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 18:26:08 EST

On Friday 17 October 2003 4:50 pm, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Bjorn Helgaas <bjorn.helgaas@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Old behavior:
> >
> > # dd if=/dev/mem of=/dev/null
> > <unrecoverable machine check>
>
> I recently fixed this for ia32 by changing copy_to_user() to not oops if
> the source address generated a fault. Similarly copy_from_user() returns
> an error if the destination generates a fault.
>
> In other words: drivers/char/mem.c requires that the architecture's
> copy_*_user() functions correctly handle faults on either the source or
> dest of the copy.

If we really believe copy_*_user() must correctly handle *all* faults,
isn't the "p >= __pa(high_memory)" test superfluous?

I don't know how ia32 handles a read to non-existent physical memory.
Are you saying that copy_*_user() can deal with that just like it does
a garden-variety TLB fault?

On ia64, a read to non-existent physical memory causes the processor
to time out and take a machine check. I'm not sure it's even possible
to recover from that.

Bjorn