Re: Transparent compression in the FS

From: jlnance
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 07:34:53 EST

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 11:44:44AM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > Several months ago we encountered the hash collision problem
> > with rsync. This brought about a fair amount of discussion
>
> So you found collision in something like md5 or sha1?

No, rsync uses a much weaker hash. The paper on the rsync alg is
interesting and has all the details, so you should read if if you
want to be sure. But from my memory rsync uses a combination of
a weak 16 bit hash which it rolls through the data, and a strong
32 bit hash which it uses to check the 16 bit hash.