Re: [Linux-fbdev-devel] Re: FBDEV 2.6.0-test7 updates.

From: Carlo E. Prelz
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 06:11:33 EST

Subject: Re: [Linux-fbdev-devel] Re: FBDEV 2.6.0-test7 updates.
Date: ven, ott 17, 2003 at 12:49:38 +0200

Quoting Benjamin Herrenschmidt (benh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx):

> Not sure what's up here. The driver is quite passive regarding
> the mode for other VCs, it sort of expect the fbcon layer do pick up
> the default mode and use it for other consoles. I'm not sure what's
> wrong here.
>
> In a more general way, I really lack the ability to change the console
> size with fbset like I could do with 2.4. I don't know if James revived
> that feature in his latest patches though. The stty thing isn't very
> reliable imho. Especially on monitors that don't like the standard
> modedb.

fbset really does a great mess, if mixed up with stty. It took me
almost an hour to find the right combination. Now, I have a stable
system, apart from the fact of having to do blind termnal setup for
each VC...

> > And on a similar topic, could you write a couple of examples about how
> > to use the parameters included in radeon_base.c? I am thinking
> > especially of the "mirror" and "monitor_layout" parameters, that I
> > believe would allow me to use the two or three video outputs of the
> > card independently. I currently read
>
> I have to see what I'll do of these parameters first. For now, the
> driver only really use the first head. I haven't yet implemented support
> for the second one, though it's on my list of things to do.

Aha... So, from what you know, is there any possibility (fb, X, X with
ATI drivers, anything else) to use the video output (or the second
head) of radeon cards under Linux? And have you tried your drivers
with 2 cards (one PCI and one AGP)?

And in all cases, why is parameter "mode" not working? If I could set
1280x1024-32@60 from Lilo, most of my problems would be solved...

Carlo

--
* Se la Strada e la sua Virtu' non fossero state messe da parte,
* K * Carlo E. Prelz - fluido@xxxxxxxxx che bisogno ci sarebbe