Re: usb-storage kills lilo (2.6-test[67])

From: bill davidsen
Date: Thu Oct 16 2003 - 14:17:45 EST

In article <20031012051107.GA1881@defiant>,
Norbert Kiesel <nkiesel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| (sorry for the flashy subject, but I could not come up with another one
| :-)
|
| Hi, I got problems with usb-storage and linux-2.6-test[67]. AFAICS,
| test5 works fine (still have to retest to make sure).
|
| Problem is that inserting my USB flash memory disk makes /dev/sda (and
| /dev/sda1) appear in /proc/partitions, but removing it does not remove
| the entries from /proc/partitions. lilo is reading /proc/partitions
| (verified trough strace) and dies because /dev/sda is gone.
|
| Possibly related to that is the next time I insert the flash disk, is
| shows up as /dev/sdb1 (and adds this to /proc/partiotions, too).

I have seen similar behaviour with flash readers. I have CF and memstick
readers, and after a photo session I'm likely to have a bunch of each to
unload. If I do the CF first, the device is sda. Even changing media,
still sda. But when I unplug and connect the memstick reader, that
becomes sdb, and sda is shown as missing in action.

I didn't report it because I lack time to characterize it properly and I
can live with it. But since you report the problem, I'll throw this info
out in case it helps someone else understand exactly what's happening.

I *believe* I first saw it in test4, I haven't been running 2.6 kernels
lately on that machine, so I can't say if it's still an issue.
--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc