RE: Who changed /proc/<pid>/ in 2.6.0-test5-bk9? (SIGPIPE?)

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 23:10:49 EST

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003, Robert White wrote:

> So I have two threads that are doing IO on a file descriptors with the
> number 5, I get an unexpected EPIPE on "5", now what? I kept track. Who is
> it for?

Robert. We get it. You don't like having separate file descriptors.

Fine. Don't use them. What's your point?

Why the hell do you think you have the right to say that others can't use
them? Just because you don't like them? Or just because you made a
contrieved example of SIGPIPE (which kills the process if not caught, and
is usually ignored if actually expected, since the EPIPE error return is a
lot more convenient and is thread-safe, btw)?

Feel free to continue arguing with yourself or on the mailing list, but
please don't cc me. I'm not interested. I'm definitely "pro-choice" when
it comes to people writing their user level applications, and I just can't
get interested in the fact that you don't like them.

Linus