Re: devfs vs. udev

From: Hugo Mills
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 12:59:20 EST

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 10:49:28AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 05:54:04PM +0100, Hugo Mills wrote:
> >
> > Surely udev needs the ability to make more than one device node or
> > symlink when a device is plugged in anyway, so I just see this as an
> > issue of writing the appropriate default configuration files.
>
> More than one device node per device? Why would you want that?

OK, more than one actual node per device (i.e. per major:minor
pair) may not necessarily be required, but in devfs there are, for
example device nodes created in /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/device0/lun0/...
etc, and links to those device nodes created in /dev/discs/disc0/...
It can occasionally be useful to have the two distinct namespaces
available.

> And sure, it's just software, it can be made to do that, if someone
> sends me a patch... :)

If it doesn't do it when I want it to do that, I'll send you the
patch. :)

Hugo.

PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
--- This year, I'm giving up Lent. ---