Re: devfs vs. udev

From: Hugo Mills
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 11:55:10 EST

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 06:06:53PM +0200, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 14:26:07 +0000, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> > I just hope udev can give a look/feel similar to devfs as I have quite a
> > few machines already in production configured for devfs and really like
> > the manageablility.

Seconded.

> I wonder: do you use the /dev/disc/* links, or the /dev/ide/... and
> /dev/scsi/... constructs?

I use /dev/scsi/ and /dev/ide/, because things tend to move around
less than with /dev/discs/.

> I'm not sure how udev will be able to support both layouts.

Surely udev needs the ability to make more than one device node or
symlink when a device is plugged in anyway, so I just see this as an
issue of writing the appropriate default configuration files.

Hugo.

PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
--- This year, I'm giving up Lent. ---