Re: [RFC 0/6] Backing Store for sysfs

From: Maneesh Soni
Date: Mon Oct 06 2003 - 23:47:54 EST

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 08:30:50PM +0100, viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> What's more important, for leaves of the sysfs tree your overhead is also
> a loss - we don't need to pin dentry down for them even with current sysfs
> design. And that can be done with minimal code changes and no data changes
> at all. Your patch will have to be more attractive than that. What's the
> expected ratio of directories to non-directories in sysfs?

Current sysfs / kobject design _require_ that dentries for the leaves to be
present all the times. There is simply no generic way to find attributes
of a kobject. As of now it uses dentry->d_fsdata to reach to the attribute.

In my system leaves are around 65% of the total.

Thanks
Maneesh

--
Maneesh Soni