Re: IDE DMA errors, massive disk corruption: Why? Fixed Yet? Why not re-do failed op?

From: Daniel B.
Date: Mon Oct 06 2003 - 16:08:12 EST

Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:

> The ordering issue comes when the following type of thing happens:
>
> 1) a write for block 993 is issued (metadata, perhaps)
> 2) a write for block 10934 is issued - actual file contents or something that
> depends on 993 being written.
> 3) Disk writes 10934 out.
> 4) Things go bad (power hit, whatever) before 993 gets written out.
> 5) fsck. ;)

It that scenario relevant to DMA errors?

I'm talking about problems in steps 1 and 2, not in later steps.

If the kernel starts a write command for block 993, wouldn't it wait
for a DMA interrupt signalling that the drive has received and accepted
the command before the kernel starts the write command for block 10934?

If it timed out waiting for that interrupt, can't it re-issue the
write for block 993 before proceeding?

Daniel
--
Daniel Barclay