Re: P4C800E-Dlx: ICH5/S-ATA and Intel Pro onboard network incompatibility?

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sun Oct 05 2003 - 19:27:35 EST

Erik Andersen wrote:
When I have the Bios set to compatible mode everything works --
except for the obvious problem that I have to put my SATA drive
onto my promise SATA card (since the ICH5 SATA is disabled).

When I have the Bios set to Enhanced mode (so the ICH5 provides
both SATA and PATA) then my system will wedge solid as a rock.

It turns out it was locking up while loading up the ide-scsi
kernel module. I have

options ide-cd ignore='hdc'

So, things work in Enchanced mode if ide-scsi module is not loaded?

And, drivers/ide is picking up your PATA devices as expected?

As a tangent, I wonder if the latest cdrecord works in 2.4 with 'dev=/dev/hdc' ... that would elimiante the need for ide-scsi.

Jeff