Re: 2.6.0-test6 Quake3/Wolfenstein Lockups

From: Andreas Hemel
Date: Sun Oct 05 2003 - 17:20:11 EST

On Wednesday 01 October 2003 12:06, Dan wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm experiencing frequent hard lockups (magic sysrq doesn't even
> work) when exiting quake3 or return to castle wolfenstein on
> 2.6.0-test5 and test6... they happen about 50% of the time, and
> usually my quake3 config file is missing when I boot back up. They
> only happen after clicking to bypass the credits screens when exiting
> the games... is anyone experiencing this? I'm unable to strace
> quake3 as it won't start up at all when straced, and I can't get
> return to castle wolfenstein to lockup when it's straced. I'm
> running a dual athlon 1700 machine, with reiserfs and LVM. This
> lockup doesn't happen on 2.4.x nor did it happen on 2.5.72 (though at
> the time I was running raid-0 and not lvm) If anyone else is having
> this problem I'd like to hear it, or if anyone else wants info just
> let me know. Please cc me any replies. -Dan

I have got similar problems with quake3 and rtcw und 2.6.0-test6, I'm
able to start quake3 once and exit with out any problems, but starting
it a second time it just hangs with a black screen. I'm able to switch
to console and kill it (it's using 100% cpu, but ~45% is actually used
by the kernel), but my mouse won't move until I restart X.
But I think the new nvidia driver (4496) causes this, since I see
exactly the same behavior under 2.4.22. Also the graphics in quake3 are
are very weird and ut2003 and tenebrae (a modified quake1) won't even
start. (complaining about missing OpenGL functions as far as I can
tell)

If anyone is interested anyway, I atached the strace of the first and
second quake3 run.